The Body Shape (and Weight) of Models

In recent months (years?), there have been calls in some quarters for the use of models whose body shape is relatively "normal" or even plus-sized. My wife, apparently, disagrees. I learned of this the other day when she called me to complain that her favorite Athletic wear catalog had apparently begun begun using larger sized models.

“If I buy an outfit to workout,” she said, “I want to be inspired. I want to feel like ‘that could be me if I worked out enough.’ Seeing the outfit on someone who is in worse shape than me isn’t inspirational.  It doesn't make me want to work out, and it doesn't make me want to buy the outfit.”

I think there may be something to what she said. People aspire to be better than they are. When it comes to exercise, that means being more fit. People want to run faster, to develop more stamina, to have an effective backhand or a longer drive on the golf course. They aspire to be like Ussein Bolt or Simone Biles, even if they are middle aged and have never been in an athletic competition.

My wife has aspirational goals too. She put on 50 pounds when she was pregnant but has been working to get back to a size 2.  Admittedly, the pregnancy was eight years ago, but she has gotten most of the way home  She's at a size 4 right now.  That last little hump is proving tough to get over, but I'm proud of her determination.  She's working and getting healthier.  And she attributes it, in part, to unrealistic models.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VBA, Memory and Speed

The Private Information of Politicians.

Building Your Own Business Intelligence or Sales Intelligence Tool